Sunday, November 7, 2010

You Meddling Kids!

Lily started planning her Halloween costume back in August. She was undeterred when I told her we would not purchase a costume until October. She changes her mind so often that I would end up buying and returning five different costumes before October 31.

But she proved me wrong! Back in August she wanted to be Velma from Scooby Doo and she never once waivered from that decision. My kids have been Scooby Doo fans for about six months so her choice of Velma wasn't a surprise.

On October 1 I asked Jamison who he wanted to be for Halloween and he had no idea. So I decided he would be Scooby Doo and Patrick would be Scrappy Doo. Lily suggested that Brian be Freddy and I could be Daphne. Dressing up in a purple mini skirt at the end of October three months after giving birth was NOT on my agenda so no, Brian and I did not dress up.

I ordered the costumes and the kids loved them!

How cute are they?!?!

But five minutes after wearing Scooby Doo Jamison declared that he was not going to be Scooby Doo and wanted to be Spider Man for the second year in a row. Of course - after I pay shipping charges on a costume he decides to have an opinion. So here are Velma, Scrappy Doo, and Spider Man (who is trying unsuccessfully to turn Scrappy Doo's head toward the camera).

By the way, this was the day before his eye surgery. After the surgery, I realized that Brian and I were given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. My plan was that after he woke up out of the anesthesia I would look him in the eye (little did I know they would be swollen shut) and say "And that's what you get for eating too much Halloween candy!!" But Brian persuaded me that would be incredibly cruel. I thought it would be best for his health - it could prevent years of over-eating Halloween candy but whatever. OF COURSE I was just joking. I would never do that.

The wig freaked me out. Since we were down a Scooby Doo she carried around my Scooby Doo stuffed animal from 1985.

Scrappy Doo was really just a dog costume from the Carter's outlet.

I tried to rush things along and see if he would crawl at three months, but it didn't happen. It definitely would be more in character with his costume, though.

And it wore him out.

Velma, SpiderMan and I started making the rounds around 5pm while the sun was still up.

They were excited about the candy but didn't think it was worth the effort to walk to each house. So after five houses they were done and we went back home. It helped that it was freezing outside and neither one would put on a coat. Luckily, each of the houses gave multiple pieces of candy so I was able to get a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
Now the following pictures should probably be in a second post but I need to move on past Halloween so I just threw them in with this post.
Again this year my lovely mother in law sent plastic face pieces for the pumpkins, so we didn't have to do any carving. Yay!
Ignore the purple colored Bumbo. Patrick is very secure in his masculinity. It was a hand me down from my nieces.

I just realized that Lily dressed up as Cinderella to decorate her pumpkin. Very clever, Lily. And it would have saved me $22 if you would have worn this costume for Halloween instead of Velma.


Even Patrick participated!



After they finished their pumpkins Brian had a surprise for Lily. He had just finished reading Harry Potter with the kids and Lily had been begging to see the movie. He took the movie out of the bag and I caught her reaction.

The kids proceeded to watch the movie 14 times in a row, with Lily critiquing the movie as to whether it followed the book accurately enough or not.
Now we're ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas! I've already set my radio stations for the all-Christmas music all the time!

No comments: