Friday, May 28, 2010

Charleston - Day 3

My mammy had suggested that if Brian and I had the time we should visit The Hunley. This was the first submarine in history to sink an enemy warship. After sinking the Union sloop of war Housatonic it never made it back to shore to celebrate. The sub disappeared for over 100 years with no reason as to what caused The Hunley to sink. It was brought to surface in 2000 and research has been underway since then to determine the events of the night that it sunk.

We weren't allowed to take any pictures of the sub itself and it would have been a little difficult anyway since they have it submerged. This is a little replica of the submarine:

This prop was used during a movie or a documentary and is the same exact size of the original. Eight men squeezed in there. They must have really believed in the Confederacy because there aren't many things that would persuade me to go in that metal tube and let someone drive it under water. It was a really neat tour and once they raise enough money for an improved museum it will be amazing. Just the story of the sub itself is captivating.

That afternoon we hired a tour guide and took a three hour tour of the city of Charleston. I am so glad we did this because we got personalized information about the different buildings, homes, streets, and Charleston history. We were going to take a horse drawn carriage tour but frankly, the horses smelled really bad. This tour was in an air conditioned car...not exactly as charming as a horse drawn carriage...but air conditioned! personalized! and it didn't smell!

That night we took a sunset cruise to wrap up our trip. It was a beautiful sailboat and fit about 20 of us. The first thing we saw was the USS Yorktown that is open for tours. We didn't make it to that side of the river because of a very large bridge that I refused to go over. We don't need to discuss my problem with bridges at this time. The particulars about this phobia can get a little weird for some people.
So I'll just show you a picture. Yes it's pretty. But it's very long and it isn't as flat as it looks. My palms are sweating just looking at it. I should never have taken a picture of it.
The homes on the river...very old and expensive homes...

How's this for exciting??!? Brian and I had a long conversation about sailboats during the cruise. We've been married 10 years, there aren't many topics we haven't covered and we realized sailboats have never been discussed. Our conclusion - sailboats are very picturesque and definitely relaxing when the wind is blowing. But they are a lot of work! There's so much to do with all those sails. Yanking them up, tying the ropes, swinging the sails over. It was exhausting watching the crew. And you can't water ski on a sailboat. (That was more my problem than Brian's). Brian also felt compelled to help the crew since we were just sitting there. That was a little weird that they were working so hard and we all just sat there and watched them.


Sunset with the Charleston skyline...which isn't much since there is a law about how high you can build.

We also saw a few dolphins swimming but the pictures I took of them were less than perfect. They were quick little swimmers and apparently very camera shy.

This is the best picture we got of Fort Sumter. If we had another day or hadn't gone to the spa (heaven forbid, but I guess we didn't have to) we would have gone to Ft. Sumter. From talking to the concierge and our own research it sounded like a large time investment to go out the to fort.

This is a rare picture. Not just because we were on vacation and we didn't have the kids but I don't take pictures when I'm pregnant. I'd prefer to not remember what I look like.

And that was our trip! We are very thankful to Sarah Pope and my mom for co-watching our kids. It would have been a difficult and less-than-romantic anniversary trip with a five year old and a two year old. And I am very thankful to Brian who came along on a plantation tour and was patient with me as I walked around Charleston at 1/4 mile per hour, stopping at every restaurant to drool over the menu. I'm blessed to grow old with you.

No comments: