Friday, December 10, 2010

Lily's Christmas Concert

Last night we attended the first of 18 more years of Christmas concerts. Lily's kindergarten class sang three songs during the Elementary concert. Since the class only has eleven students I was afraid we wouldn't be able to hear them at all. And then the teacher handed out the microphones. One thing Lily should never be given - a microphone. Granted, I would put her in the "shy" category (how is a child of mine shy?!) but once given a stage and a little bit of confidence she is usually ready to shine.

(I was in row four and my camera still has lighting problems. Also, the "Director" chair in the back was for a small play that the 1st-6th grades performed during the concert)

That being said, I should clarify that Lily has tons of passion when she performs. TONS. A HUGE ABUNDANCE. But as of now she has yet to find her talent for singing. Maybe it just hasn't been developed yet; or possibly she hasn't tapped into it. Either way, her passion far outweighs her talent for singing. But it is all about the heart, isn't it?

They performed Silent Night in sign language. So it really was silent. And then they sang/belted out the song without sign language. It was highly entertaining. And not silent.

There was also a small scuffle over the microphone that was being passed around the class. Thankfully, Lily stayed out of it, although I noticed that she was restraining herself. It's hard to see in this photo but she was starting to get annoyed at something.

And then I zoomed in. Hands on hips, eyes rolled. Everyone else appears satisfied but something has clearly not met her approval.

Luckily, she pulled it together for the final song of This Little Light of Mine.

One the way home, in between calming down over-tired children, Brian and I reflected on our school concerts. I (mostly) loved our chorus concerts around Christmas. We remembered Jingle Bell chapel at Harding where everyone jingled keys along with the song. I also remembered the very long band concerts that I had to sit through while my sister played the flute. Apparently my mother was thinking about that too while she cried through the 5th and 6th grade band last night. I texted to Kristen about moms emotional state and we agreed that mom was probably crying over all the lost money to finance Kristen's flute lessons and equipment. Way to go Kris!
In the end we decided that if elementary school Christmas concerts do not put you in the mood for Christmas, I don't know what will. If you don't have young kids, find an elementary school close to you and attend a concert. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Lila said...

not 18 more years..23 more years!!